Federal criminal appeals

If you or a loved one has been convicted of a federal crime, and you want to appeal, we can help.  Our attorneys are members of the Bar of the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court, and we are experienced in federal appeals.

There are a few warnings, though:

  • You can only appeal from legal rulings that the judge made.  You generally can’t appeal based on your belief that the judge or jury believed the wrong side.
  • You can generally only appeal from rulings that your attorney objected to at the trial.  If there was no objection at trial, you will have a very tough time getting anywhere on appeal.
  • If you entered a guilty plea and you want to appeal from the sentence that you received, you may have waived your right of appeal as a part of a plea agreement.  If that is the case, you may not be able to appeal now.

If you or a loved one need to appeal a federal criminal conviction or sentence, call us at 434-293-8185.